- Saturday | January 13, 2018
- 1:15 pm - 3:30 pm
- The Center for Hospice & Palliative Care Hospice Education Building 225 Como Park Blvd., Cheektowaga, NY 14227
presented by the League of Women Voters of Buffalo/ Niagara
Saturday, January 13, 2018
1:15 – 3:30 p.m.
The Center for Hospice & Palliative Care
Hospice Education Building
225 Como Park Blvd., Cheektowaga, NY 14227
– Dr. Mary T. Williams, nationally and internationally recognized speaker
– Corinne Carey, Esq., New York campaign director, Compassion & Choices
– Dr. Robert A. Milch, recognized leader in palliative care
– Todd Vaarwerk, director of advocacy and public policy, Western New York Independent Living
Moderators: Ramona Gallagher and Ann Converso
There is no current provision in New York State law for medical assistance in dying, and no provisions against abuse of the dying or for protecting medical personnel. The panel will help us gain understanding of the issue’s pros and cons. After the presentation, League members will discuss and vote on concurrence with the LWV New York State position to be used in deciding whether or not to support particular legislation now and in the future.
LWV New York State Concurrence Position on Death with Dignity
1. The League of Women Voters of New York believes state laws should grant the option for a terminally ill person to request medical assistance from a relevant, licensed physician to end one’s life.
2. The League of Women Voters believes such legislation should include safeguards against abuse of the dying and protections for medical personnel who act in good faith compliance with the law.
Free and open to the public. All are welcome!
RSVP: Register at the League of Women Voters of Buffalo Niagara website, www.lwvbn.org
Reminder: League members should bring the background materials they received with the November and December Voters.